The Chatham Dockyard Historical Society is a registered charity (No 287263) composed of about 280 members all of whom are volunteers dedicated to upholding the memory of Chatham Dockyard's contribution to serving the Royal Navy over the past four centuries.
>>> New volunteers welcome. If you have the time to spare and are interested in helping, please do call in or contact us.
Working in close partnership with the Historic Dockyard Trust, we run the Museum of the Royal Dockyard, the Royal Dockyard Library and are pleased to assist visitors with any historical query. All CDHS members receive a copy of the Society's Journal, CHIPS, which is published bi-annually.
Next Event - Friday 13th March 2015 - Fellowship Supper.
New Membership Enquiries -- Membership of CDHS is available on either an Annual or Life Member basis.
Please visit our Membership page for more information.
Reminder - £10.00 for your 2015 Membership Subscriptions now due.
Our informative web site pages have much more information for you to read.
About -- more about CDHS and a list of significant dates in Chatham Dockyard's history
Activities -- describes the Society's interests and work. Includes advice how to access the Royal Dockyard Library
Membership -- more details about the role of CDHS members and the dockyard museum gallery
Fellowship -- lists the meetings, talks and social events
CHIPS Journal -- has a sample article from an earlier CHIPS Journal
Contact Us -- email CDHS with your comments and enquiries
Links -- our web links through to other naval and historical website.
CDHS Research Papers
available for purchase:
- The Royal Marines in Chatham
- Convicts in the Dockyard
- Chatham Built Submarines
- Naval Cannon
- Bugler Timmins R.N.
- HMS Chatham
- Naval Shipbuilding
- The Tudor Dockyard at Chatham
- Important Events in Dockyard History
- HMS Victory
- Commissioners in Residence
- The Master Attendant’s Letter Book
- The Battle of the River Plate
- Sail & Colour Lofts 1800 – 1946
- John Rennie at Chatham
- Chatham Dockyard in the Second World War
- Admiralty Correspondence to Chatham Commissioner
- Chatham Whitworth Scholars
- RN Barracks Chatham, HMS Pembroke
- The Shipbuilding Family of PETT
- Letters from the Admiralty Part B 1714-1718
- The Sawmills of Chatham Dockyard
- The Coast Watch
- HMS Southampton 1937 – 1941
- Patternmaking & Patternmakers
- The Building of HMS Victory
- Expense Account Department
- Admiralty Letters 1708 – 1712
- The Lead & Paint Mill
- The Fitted Rigging House
- The Prince of 1670
- Chatham Dockyard in the First World War
- The Dockyard Church
- The Trafalgar Medal
- Chatham Figurehead Carvers
- The Dockyard’s Police
- Apprentices & Dockyard School
- The Naval Stores Department
- The Dockyard’s Railways
Our contact details:
CHATHAM DOCKYARD HISTORICAL SOCIETY
The Historic Dockyard
Kent ME4 4TE
TELEPHONE: 01634 832028
See a location map.
His Hon. Andrew Patience QC (from September 2012)
Questions or messages to CDHS? Please use our Contact Us page.